What are Interdental Cleaners?
Interdental cleaners are tools used to clean your gums and between your teeth. Interdental cleaners include floss, toothpicks, waterpiks and other flossing tools. Interdental cleaning removes plaque and leftover food debris from between your teeth. Interdental cleaners, such as floss and other options are important for oral health, because they help reach areas that your toothbrush misses. Unfortunately, the best toothbrush and toothbrush techniques don’t remove all plaque and debris from your mouth. While flossing can be a difficult exercise to master, we’ve broken down the steps to ease the process of using floss and other interdental cleaners.
How should you use interdental cleaners?
●Wash your hands
● Use about 18 inches of dental floss
● Use a gentle sawing motion to guide the floss between adjacent teeth
● When the floss reaches the gum line, curve it into a C shape against one tooth and gently slide it into the space between the gum and the tooth
● With the floss kept tight against the side of the tooth, gently move the floss away from the gum with up and down motions; this scrubbing action cleans plaque off the adjacent tooth
● When the floss gets thin or dirty, unwind unused floss from one hand and take up the slack on the other hand to use
● Wash your hands
Let us help!
After every routine cleaning, we urge our patients to practice flossing and proper hygiene health. In addition, we strive to make recommendations based on our patient’s circumstances and needs.
With a variety of interdental cleaning options, we weigh the best options to fit the needs of our patient’s mouth. For patients who don’t floss regularly, products that make interdental cleaning easier can save their gums and teeth health. If you’re interested in learning more about interdental cleaners, we’d love to talk more. Schedule your next routine cleaning and we’ll happily discuss the best options for your gums and teeth.
Whitening For Life
Whitening for Life is a new program we’re offering in our practice to make professional teeth whitening more accessible to all of our patients.